Wednesday 6 September 2023

Day 13: Rab to Stinica. Day 14: Stinica to Nin

The weather predictions told me that the ferryman's mum was going to be a bratwurst short of a mixed grill. No boat to Pag from Rab. Change of plan and I crossed Rab island to catch a car ferry from Misnjak to Stinica on the mainland. The plan was to ride down the coast road for a bit then take a bigger ferry to Pag and pick the route up there. About 10 minutes after arriving in Stinica and climbing away from the ferry port the plan fell apart. The wind was gusting at 65 to 95 kph. On the hill I actually went backwards for a bit. 

The village of Stinica is functional and mainly made up of German owned second homes with a few locals clinging on. I found somewhere to stay and asked about the cafe\bar and the restaurant. Both closed now the season was finished. There was a shop and I had sheltered from the wind there earlier. At that time outside the shop was a group of older men drinking a local spirit from small bottles whilst sitting on beer crates. There was a line of empties. It was 9 o'clock. When I went back at 11 there were some changes and additions to personnel and a longer line of empties. Without the structure of opening times in a local bar meeting times had stretched, the only constraint being the shop shutting. Sorry to see this. Take note Des's dad and Brenda's mum.

The shop was well stocked with booze but little else. Tuna and sweetcorn surprise for tea. The surprise bit was cheese and tomato. There wasn't much else. I shared my tea with a cat who obviously charms visitors on a regular basis. She hated the tomatoes.

A very blustery day the next morning but I decide to get going early. I'm running out of days. The BBC forecast said breezy, which I now know means 60 kph gusts. Thanks Auntie. Quick dash for the ferry from Prizna to Zigljen on the Island of Pag and then on to Nin. Long day close to 100 km and 1100 metres of climb. The 'breeze' didn't help. 


Lovely views on the Island. I thought these were salt flats (below) in the foreground and the Museum of Salt (no, really) in Nin proved me right.

Nin is a picturesque seaside town. It's claim to fame is that Branimir spent some time here. 
Branimir? You haven't heard? He invented the iphone-sword combo. Here he is trying for a selfie.

No comments:

Post a Comment