Tuesday 20 September 2022

Day 16: Moissac to Pechabou 108 km. May the temperature in your communal jacuzzi be forever stable.

On the tow path of the Garonne again and it's a perfect morning for the first 40km. Flat and smooth and the canal is clean and green (in a good sort of way). There's not a shopping trolley in sight. This is unlike Birmingham, where we have more canals than Venice and more shopping trolleys in them than Sainsburys are comfortable with. 

At 40 km I reach Montauban and stop to load the next track (a line on my GPS) that I need to follow. There's a problem. Long story short: I have followed a branch off the main route to a stopover town by mistake. I need to turn around and go back. Penance is both an extra 25 km as I retrace my steps and a missed sausage opportunity.

The missed sausage thing is really disappointing. I had timed the ride to make Toulouse by 12:25 and so in plenty of time to secure a seat at a Bistro offering Toulouse sausage and frites. Toulouse sausage is a thing of beauty and I was looking forward to it. Sausages are, of course a bit like communal jacuzzis. Best enjoyed by not thinking too hard about what is in them. I once worked as a butcher's boy in the Co-op and made the things (sausages not jacuzzis) so trust me on this. If you find a chewy bit in a sausage it's like sudden and unexpected warmth in the communal jacuzzi. Quite nice really but best not to speak of how it came about. 

The Garonne Canal ended in Toulouse and I joined the Canal du Midi and this will take me all the way to Sete on the shore of the Mediterranean. I think that might be the end point for this trip. The day before I arrived in Bordeaux I caught a cold and since then my lungs and nose have been engaging in competitive fluid production for a few days now and it's a bit wearing. It's mainly just annoying but I'm breathless on the hills.

Another aqueduct today but this time, wait for it, there was a bridge as well! Gotta be a contender for the Bridge of the Ride Award. Things are really hotting up now and the voting rules are taking shape!


Onward to Carcassonne tomorrow. I wonder what's for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment